mardi 28 juillet 2026

(159) The abracadabrante story of Child Moon

 Where we may see, like the parrots themselves, that, in the end, each one of us might be nothing more than a tiny piece of a vast puzzle... cast at random upon the stage of a theatre whose logic we can no longer perceive once the scenery precedes the curtain... once the stage hangs suspended between a sky and an absent earth, where the roots have lost their soil and begin to sprout in every direction... while awaiting the next eruption...


— In the end, each one of us might be nothing more than a tiny piece of a vast puzzle... cast at random upon the stage of a theatre whose logic we can no longer perceive once the scenery precedes the curtain.
— Do you happen to know where the word puzzle comes from?
— No more than I know where I myself come from...
— Precisely... The verb to puzzle originally meant to place someone in a state where he no longer knows how things fit together.
— I believe... as you do... that I know something of that condition.
— Then the puzzle was not, at first, an object.
— What, then, was it?
— An experience...
— ...that of a mind which has lost the thread!
— That origin matters. You see... before becoming a game of reconstruction, the puzzle is an experience of disorientation.
— One might almost say that a puzzle is a catastrophe in the etymological sense.
— Entirely so... According to our master, the Greek word katastrophē signifies an overturning.
— Then, if I understand correctly... a puzzle is an image that has been cut apart, laid upon a table... then overturned and scattered.
— Exactly so... but let us notice something rather curious...
— I am fond of curious things... provided they do not unsettle me too much.
— You will observe that the pieces of the puzzle, though scattered, have not become strangers to one another.
— They have merely lost the immediate possibility of manifesting their belonging together.
— In other words, the relation still exists.
— Only its visibility has disappeared...
— There is already a profoundly philosophical thought.
— There may exist an order that we no longer see.
— As our master tells us... most modern philosophies oscillate between two models.
— Just as we do...
— The first—yours, for example—imagines that the world is made up of separate elements which are afterwards assembled.
— And I, as your faithful companion, maintain that there is first of all a whole from which the parts arise.
— Thus the puzzle would appear to belong to the first model.
— I have the feeling that you are about to contradict me immediately...
— In truth, it belongs entirely to the second.
— I was certain of it... Pray explain.
— The pieces, contrary to what one might suppose, do not acquire their identity when they are assembled.
— I believe I understand... They were already the pieces of this puzzle before they were brought together.
— Their truth precedes their reunion.
— And we discover that truth only little by little.
— Is there not here something almost Platonic, when you say that relations exist before our knowledge of those relations?
— More than likely... Yet the puzzle surpasses Plato on one essential point.
— Which is?
— A piece signifies nothing by itself.
— It is not an autonomous fragment.
— It is a form of expectation.
— Its contour is already a dialogue.
— Every hollow calls for a projection.
— Every curve carries within it the memory of another curve.
— A piece never says: "I am."
— What does it say, then?
— It always says: "Someone is missing from me."
— In that respect, it resembles you... whenever I am absent.
— Other philosophers*, however, would probably have insisted upon another aspect.
— And what might that be?
— We almost never solve a puzzle through pure reasoning alone.
— What do you mean?
— The hands often know before the intellect does.
— One turns a piece.
— Brings it close.
— One senses that it is not yet right.
— And then, all at once...
— Like lightning across the sky!
— More quietly than that... without any real demonstration, something falls into accord.
— The body recognizes a coherence...
— Thus the puzzle shows that knowledge is not purely intellectual...
— It is perceptual as well.
— The fingers learn a logic that concepts formulate only afterwards.
Merleau-Ponty, for example.

Aucun commentaire: